February 8, 2009

My Tailor the Muslim

My Tailor the Muslim

20 years ago I took a suit in to be tailored. The the closest was a place with a funny foreign name.

While I was being fitted, I noticed the calender on the wall quoted Koranic verses and had something I could not read. The tailor said they were from Turkey and the writing was Koran quotes in Turkish.
It was my first contact with a Muslim, or exposure to the Koran.

Since then I have moved and last year I saw his sign near my new residence and I went in again for a another suit fitting. We chatted and he recognized me as an old customer. I asked how his daughters were and he told they had both gone through the local University. They both now worked in the Computer field in Turkey.
His Son had followed the same path. SO I asked him why they went home and then also why he was still here.

He told me his kids were happier in Turkey. In the US they felt like outcasts even though they were born here. The anti-Muslim sentiment made them very uncomfortable.

He said he was still here because he could not afford to go home. He left Turkey after working for someone else and then opening his own shop to raise the money to take his family to America...the land of opportunity.

Then he said what utter nonsense, he was much freer back home in a outwardly corrupt government than in the US where they take everything you make if you are successful.

He said he had been in the US over 30 years and was still not accepted anywhere. He only felt at home with his former Turkish friends who also longed to go home.

He complained about the same problems that were back home in Turkey. Freedom here he said is a joke. He began to ramble a bit here and I was not really sure of his point, but it sounded like he felt everyone hated him because of his religion
and for no other reason.

I told him he should go home and he said his business was not worth much and that there was a tailor on every corner at home and he would not get there with enough to start again. He was clearly unhappy, frustrated and disappointed.

We did not get into any real politics.
He just seems like the average guy, that happened to be a Muslim.

This of course puts a face on the Muslim terrorist threat for me. I have to ask myself, is my tailor a guy that feels like he wants world domination?

No, but he is angry. What does it take to get a frustrated, angry Muslim need to join on an Anti American agenda or movement?

Probably not much.

Just something to chew on.

In Suburbia
Avigdor Rudofsky




--
Refuah Shleimah, a total and speedy recovery for all the wounded, soldiers and civilians.

Numbers 33:55

But if you do not drive out the inhabitants of the Land from before you, then those whom you leave over will be as spikes in your eyes and thorns in your sides, and they will harass you in the land in which you settle.

http://www.jewish1.blogspot.com/
--
שלם
Turn the State of Jews to a Jewish State
Avi Rudofsky

"We call upon the Jewish people throughout the Diaspora to unite with us in our homeland by making Aliyah, by building the land, and by taking part in the momentous undertaking of the redemption of the Jewish people, which has been the dream of generations."

No comments:

Post a Comment